Treat #1 - All smiles on July 4th...
Lemon Sugar Cookies
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl; set aside.
2. Combine sugars and lemon zest in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add butter and mix until pale and fluffy. Mix in eggs and lemon juice. Add flour mixture and beat until just combined.
3. Scoop dough balls onto a prepared cookie sheet and bake cookies until golden, about 15 minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces, softened
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Place cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl and beat in butter pieces until smooth and well blended.
2. Sift in confectioners sugar and vanilla, and continue beating until smooth.