Monday, August 29, 2011
Market Mondays: Lentil And Eggplant Stew
For this week's edition of Market Mondays, I made one of my favorite recipes from Food & Wine magazine. It's a dish I've made countless times, and one I will continue to make over and over again. It's healthy, packed with flavor, incredibly easy to assemble and cook- everything a meal should be. The recipe for Eggplant and Lentil Stew with Pomegranate Molasses is below:
Eggplant and Lentil Stew with Pomegranate Molasses (yield, 6 servings)
1 1/2 lbs (approx. 1 large) eggplant
5 oz brown lentils
6 fl oz extra virgin olive oil
7 oz Spanish onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 oz (approx. 2 medium) tomatoes, diced
3 oz (approx. 2 medium) Anaheim chilies, seeded and chopped
2 tbsp fresh mint leaves, chopped
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
2 fl oz pomegranate molasses
2 tsp salt, plus more as needed
1. Cut eggplant lengthwise into slices and score each slice. Sprinkle slices with salt to draw out moisture and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
2. Cook lentils according to package directions, drain and reserve.
3. Heat oven to 350 deg. Coat a large gratin dish with a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil, reserving the rest.
4. In a large bowl combine drained lentils, onions, garlic, tomatoes, chilies, mint, tomato paste, red pepper flakes, and 2 tsp salt.
4. Remove salt from eggplant slices and pat dry. Further cut eggplant slices into cubes and add the cubes to the vegetable mixture. Mix well.
5. Transfer mixture to the prepared gratin dish and drizzle the remaining extra virgin olive oil over and around the mixture. Drizzle pomegranate molasses evenly over the top.
6. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and transfer to the oven. Bake for 1 1/2 hrs, then uncover and bake for an additional 1/2 hr.