Saturday, May 28, 2011
Triple Berry Morning Muffins
Moist berry-filled muffins topped with a sweet crumble are the perfect breakfast for the unofficial start of summer. The simple recipe can be adapted to use your favorite combination of berries. I used whatever I found in my fridge- blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. I envisioned a healthier berry-centric weekend- one with smoothies and fruit salads- but muffins will do just fine.
Triple Berry Morning Muffins (yield, 12 muffins):
For the muffins:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup milk (I used almond milk)
1 egg yolk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups fresh berries (any combination)
3 tablespoons mixed berry jam (I used Sarabeth's)
For the crumble:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium sized bowl.
3. Melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl and whisk in milk, egg and yolk, and vanilla.
4. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined and fold in berries and jam.
5. To make the crumble, combine flour and sugar in a separate bowl and cut butter into mixture until a coarse crumble forms.
6. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full of batter and top each with a generous sprinkle of crumble. Bake for 30 minutes.