Treat #1 - All smiles on July 4th...
Lemon Sugar Cookies
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl; set aside.
2. Combine sugars and lemon zest in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add butter and mix until pale and fluffy. Mix in eggs and lemon juice. Add flour mixture and beat until just combined.
3. Scoop dough balls onto a prepared cookie sheet and bake cookies until golden, about 15 minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into pieces, softened
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Place cream cheese in a medium mixing bowl and beat in butter pieces until smooth and well blended.
2. Sift in confectioners sugar and vanilla, and continue beating until smooth.
Monday, July 2, 2012
Now that we're in the throes of summer, there is so much to choose from at the Greenmarket. I've been preoccupied picking up fruits and veggies to make my son's meals (I can't believe how much he eats) that I haven't focused on much else. This week though, I decided to make a raw corn salad for my husband and me. I started by cutting the kernels off a few cobs and added quartered cherry tomatoes (both yellow and red), diced avocado and cucumber, sliced scallions, a little lime zest and juice, and a dash of salt and pepper. Super tasty (especially with Food Should Taste Good's "The Works" chips) and incredibly easy.
Unless I missed it, last week was the first appearance of corn at the Union Square Greenmarket
Cucumbers on ice