Sunday, August 30, 2009
Fish Tacos With Fruit Salsa
To combat a dreary Saturday rife with clouds and rain I made a light fish taco and topped it with a bright salsa. I adapted the grilled mahi-mahi recipe from Grills Seafood Deck and Tiki Bar (http://www.grillsseafood.com/), one of my favorite restaurants in Cape Canaveral, Florida, and one of the winners of Live With Regis & Kelly's Ultimate Hometown Grill Off (the restaurant's Grilled Mahi-Mahi Sandwich took home top honors in the healthy sandwich category). The salsa is made with juicy fruits including a ripe seasonal peach. The recipes for Grilled Mahi-Mahi Tacos and Sweet Summer Salsa are below.
Grilled Mahi-Mahi Tacos (yield, 8 tacos)
4 6 oz. mahi-mahi filets
1 cup teriyaki sauce
2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp dried basil
1/2 cup mayonnaise
8 6-inch soft shell tacos
1 cup iceberg lettuce, shredded
1 cup shredded cheddar and monterey jack cheese
1 tomato, thinly sliced
1. Whisk together teriyaki sauce, garlic powder, and dried basil. Reserve 1/4 cup and pour rest over mahi-mahi filets. Allow to marinate in fridge for 30 min.
2. Add reserved 1/4 cup marinade to mayonnaise and set aside.
3. Heat grill to high temp and grill mahi-mahi filets (2- 2 1/2 minutes per side), brushing on mayonnaise/marinade combination while grilling.
4. Assemble each taco with 1/2 mahi-mahi filet topped with shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, sliced tomatoes, and sweet summer salsa (recipe follows).
Sweet Summer Salsa (yield, approx. 2 cups)
1/2 cup mango, small dice
1/2 cup peach, small dice (after dicing, squeeze the peach and add juice into the bowl)
1/4 cup orange bell pepper, small dice
1/2 cup pineapple, small dice (after dicing, add any pineapple juice that collects into the bowl)
2 tsps cilantro, chopped
2 tsps scallions, thinly sliced
1 tbsp agave nectar
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
2. Top grilled mahi-mahi tacos with fresh sweet summer salsa.